A bit of obligatory faffing before heading off by coach to Mizen head. We had the inescapable feeling of having forgotten something. A nagging doubt. Turns out it was the bikes! The coach made slow progress down the narrow roads as we got closer to Mizen head, often stuck behind slow moving traffic. Bloody cyclists! The meandering road induced travel sickness amongst several of us, although we all seemed to recover once on the bikes.
![]() |
| Harold and Hilda with their matching jerseys |
On arrival at Mizen Head, all of the bikes were assembled and waiting for us. Disappointingly, we couldn't just nab the best looking most expensive model. We had to stick to our own. After the pre-scheduled faffing at the start, we were rounded up to have a group photo. Looked like trying to herd cats at the time.
![]() |
| School photo |
And we're off! The idea of any racing was abandoned very quickly as the views were just too spectacular! Riders stopping at viewpoints to get the best shots. I realised one advantage of group riding was the cry of "Put it on the group chat" as I sailed past.
![]() |
The conversation here went "These views are why we pay all this money" My response was "Nah, it's so someone can sort out my mechanicals". Taff and Mark - I honestly meant this as a joke! |
The sunshine was a lovely change to the mixed bag of weather that we've had since arriving in Dublin. In fact, the inevitable sweating from climbing the hills, followed by the massive cool down on the descents was an unwelcome side effect of the good weather.
![]() |
| Gorgeous views around every corner. Tracy got in the way of this one. |
![]() |
| Blessed with sunshine today |
Obviously the feel good days couldn't last. Riding with Tracy, Joe and Jack, my bike developed a bit of a rubbing sound then very soon after a loud bang as the inner tube exploded. Turns out the beading had broken and the inner tube got pinched. Spectacular, but a bit inconvenient to say the least.
Taff arrived a few minutes later and confirmed my fears - I needed a new tyre. Tracy headed off to the lunch stop, after taking photos of my stricken bike and getting bit bored. Mark arrived in the van in quick time and between him and Taff, got me back on the road. Thanks so much guys. Tracy phoned during the repair to check in with me, whilst clearly eating her lunch. I think that she phoned just to rub it in.
![]() |
| How many men does it take to change a tyre? |
![]() |
| ...turns out it's two. Mark and Taff, with me being ineffectual. |
Taff and I ended up blasting the next section to lunch. I arrived seriously regretting instigating the change of pace. My time trialling days are long behind me.
![]() |
| Lunch stop at O'Sullivan's |
After lunch the roads were busier and faster. Just Tracy and I along with Taff, being the back markers of the group. After a while, Taff rode at the front to give Tracy a break. We were making good progress.
![]() |
| Bantry. Twinned with Ballamory |
At one point Taff waved the traffic on past us. Tracy thought that it meant her time to lead again. Her little legs spun furiously as she raced past Taff. I was too busy laughing to say anything! So at the front she stayed, probably going the fastest she has in all of our time in Ireland.
After arriving at the Bay View, an ever increasing band of diners were being assembled to descend on Casey's for dinner. A stroll down into Glengariff offered some stunning views.
![]() |
| I can see why Glengariff is so popular |
![]() |
| Thanks to Muir for this one |
![]() |
| Colours change quickly in the evening light |
A great meal at Casey's with excellent company. I look forward to more evenings over the next few days. I hope to be eventually known for more than "Ah, Dan with the exploding tyre!"
![]() |
| Blue pool |
Distance covered 39 miles
Total Distance 254 miles
Cake of the day Bailey's cheesecake (still a cake, not a dessert!)
Tracy whinge factor 1/10 Nothing about today, but she started grumping about the climbing tomorrow.















No comments:
Post a Comment